What are dental veneers?
At Pennant Hills Dental Centre, we tend to recommend porcelain veneers. While composite veneers exist too, they provide a far less natural look than porcelain veneers do and don’t stand the test of time quite the same. Porcelain veneers, much like a porcelain dinner plate, are known for keeping their colour, stability, shape and form over time.
A dental veneer is a thin layer of porcelain that is custom made to fit onto the front of your tooth to enhance its appearance. Once made, it’s bonded to the front surface of your tooth (one veneer per tooth), disguising colour, shape, and many alignment concerns. Porcelain veneers provide you with the opportunity to create and wear your dream smile, as they’re fully customisable and size. During a consultation appointment, one of our experienced cosmetic dentists can help you determine if veneers are an appropriate treatment option for reaching your smile goals.
Smile problems veneers can solve
Dental veneers are extremely versatile. Our Pennant Hills dentists can use them to help patients with numerous concerns they may have with their smiles. Below, you can find a list of smile concerns porcelain veneers can help eradicate:
- tooth discolouration
- misshapen teeth
- teeth that are bigger/smaller than those surrounding them
- slightly misaligned teeth
- small gaps between teeth
High quality porcelain veneers in Pennant Hills
The first step to getting porcelain veneers is a consultation with one of our experienced dentists. At our Pennant Hills dental clinic, we take our time to get to know you and understand the things about your smile you’d like to change.
During this consultation appointment, you’ll find out everything you need to know about the procedure and costs associated with getting porcelain veneers. Your dentist will also conduct a thorough oral assessment to ensure you’re a suitable candidate for the procedure. While not everyone is an ideal candidate for veneers, many people are.
Once you’re feeling confident with your decision to go ahead with porcelain veneers, the next (very exciting) steps can begin:
- The next step is to design your smile. This part of the procedure involves your dentist working closely with you to create a smile design on which to base your veneers. Your smile design may require you to have veneers on all of your front teeth, of just a few.
- Your customised porcelain veneers are then made in our Australian dental lab.
- While some preparation of your tooth is required, at Pennant Hills Dental Centre, we try to keep it to a minimum, preserving as much of your natural tooth as possible. Preparing your teeth for your veneers involves shaping them slightly for the veneers to be able to fit onto the front of them, and etching them so that the veneers have a good surface to bond to.
- Your dentist will then do a final fitting of your veneers to ensure the perfect fit before cementing them into place. They’re then polished for a natural-looking finish and you’re ready to show off your brand new smile!
Porcelain veneers are an investment you want to take care of, ensuring they serve you for many years to come. Porcelain veneers typically last a lot longer than composite veneers, but you can still extend their life by caring for them appropriately. Caring for your veneers looks the same as caring for your oral health. Your dentist will explain how to care for your veneers in detail but here are a few things to keep in mind:
- Brushing your teeth twice a day and flossing daily will help maintain your veneers as well as your general oral health.
- Keeping up with regular dental visits can allow your dentist to identify any issues with your veneers early on, saving you the need for major treatment or veneer replacement.
- If you clench your jaw or grind your teeth, it’s important to speak to your dentist about it so they can help you protect your teeth and your new veneers, for example, with a bite splint. Porcelain veneers, like natural teeth, are exceptionally strong. However, they’re not made to withstand the ongoing forces associated with jaw clenching and grinding your teeth.
- When eating or chewing hard things, be mindful.
- Ensure you always wear a custom sports mouthguard if you play contact sports or are frequently involved in high-impact activities.
Porcelain veneers can provide patients with many benefits, especially when made and fitted by an experienced cosmetic dentist like those on our exceptional dental team at Pennant Hills Dental Centre.
Porcelain veneers are:
- 100% custom made, tailored to your dream smile goals
- So natural-looking, nobody will know they aren’t your natural teeth
- Incredibly long-lasting and durable
- Resistant to stains
Unlike many other cosmetic treatments, getting veneers offers:
- Minimal discomfort
- Hardly any downtime
- A quick way to achieve your dream smile