What is Invisalign?
Invisalign takes a modern approach to straightening teeth, using a custom-made series of clear aligners created for you and only you. These aligner trays are made of smooth, comfortable and virtually invisible plastic that you wear over your teeth like a mouthguard or bleach tray. Using a series of aligners, Invisalign applies consistent, controlled force to each tooth, gently moving them into their new position. Invisalign differs from traditional braces in that it actually controls the amount of force applied to each tooth, reducing the duration of the treatment in comparison with traditional orthodontics.
Invisalign is an aesthetically appealing orthodontic option for many people who don’t want the “train-track” look often associated with traditional braces. Invisalign allows you to straighten your teeth effectively with no metal brackets or wires that require ongoing tightening. This means straightening your teeth with Invisalign can be comfortable and with far less risk of orthodontic emergencies during treatment. It’s simple, all you need to do is pop in a new set of aligners. Your dentist will let you know exactly when you need to do this, but it’s approximately every two weeks until your treatment is complete.
The Invisalign journey
Below is roughly what you can expect during a typical Invisalign straightening journey:
- Consultation: The process begins with your initial consultation, during which Dr Harley will explore your concerns and smile goals to determine if Invisalign is the right treatment for you.
- Planning: Dr Harley will take detailed impressions of your teeth and bite to create a computerised 3D image of your smile. This helps to determine the precise movements needed to create the best results. Once the computerised image has been created, a virtual treatment outcome can be generated so you can see what your teeth can look like after treatment.
- Treatment outline: It’s at this point we can also see how many aligners are required and thus the time the complete treatment will take. The length of your Invisalign treatment depends on the severity of your bite abnormality and how much correction you require, but on average, the treatment takes 12 to 18 months.
- Manufacturing your aligners: Your custom made aligners are manufactured based on the prior steps. When they’re ready, you can collect them along with the exact instructions for getting the most out of your treatment.
- Wearing your aligners: During your treatment, you’ll need to wear each aligner for a minimum of 22 hours per day for around two weeks, removing the aligners only for eating and cleaning your teeth. If worn for less than 22 hours per day, you’ll need to wear the aligners over a longer period to compensate, thus increasing the length of your treatment. After two weeks, you will then switch to the next aligner, which will move your teeth a little more.
- Check-up appointments: We will ask you to come in for a check-up every 6-8 weeks so that we can monitor your progress and provide you with your next set of aligners. Throughout your treatment, you should notice slight movements as the invisible braces gradually move your teeth to create an even, healthy and beautiful smile.
Invisalign in Pennant Hills
One of the main reasons so many patients prefer Invisalign is because it’s a discrete orthodontic treatment option that doesn’t interfere with their lifestyles. Invisalign allows you to attend functions and events in confidence. Invisalign aligners are virtually invisible, so very few people will even notice you’re even having your teeth straightened.
Invisalign is a comfortable and less bulky orthodontic treatment option without the need for metal wires and elastic bands. This also makes this treatment option perfect for those with an active lifestyle as, with no metal brackets and wires, patients experience minimal cuts and ulcers in their mouths.
The clear aligners you wear as part of this treatment are removable. This means you can take them out for eating, brushing and flossing, as well as for important personal and professional occasions, such as client meetings, presentations, family events and wedding photos.
Dental visits are only required roughly every 6-8weeks, adding an extra element of convenience when compared to traditional orthodontic treatment options. Invisalign aligners are ideal for even the busiest of lifestyles, allowing you to spend less time in the dental chair and more time doing the things you love.
With fewer nooks and crevices for bacteria to hide in, Invisalign is a more hygienic option than traditional braces. The convenience of being able to remove the aligners means you will find it easier to keep your teeth and gums clean. We recommend you clean your aligners, using cold water and a toothbrush (without toothpaste), before each insertion.
Soaking aligners in cool water and white vinegar will remove any stains or debris. Rinse them thoroughly in cold water before reinserting. Do not use warm or hot water, this may distort the aligners. When taking your aligners out to eat or drink, remember to store them in the protective box provided to stop them from getting dirty. Avoid placing them in tissues or your pockets; otherwise, you might accidentally damage or discard them.
More than good looks
Many people wish for a straighter smile for aesthetic purposes. However, the benefits of having a straight smile extend far beyond the confidence it may give you in your appearance. Below are some of the ways a straight smile can help you:
- Easier to clean your teeth
- Less chance of cavities
- Decreased risk of gum disease
- Decreased risk of jaw strain
- Better digestion
- Reduced risk of dental injury
- Clearer speech